Solitude.

SOLITUDE.

I was asked a few weeks ago by a Presbyterian pastor to take a "pilgrimage." I've never taken a "pilgrimage" so to speak. I've heard stories about Emmaus walks, pilgrimages and such... but I've never taken one. This one is a little different than it was originally designed. It's actually a 24-hour retreat. A mini-pilgrimage I guess you'd say. I honestly don't know anything about it, other than when this pastor asked me if I would enjoy some "solitude" I immediately said "yes."

The only other thing I know about this getaway is that it begins at a Catholic retreat center. I'm loving the unity. A Baptist guy attends a Presbyterian pilgrimage at a Catholic retreat center. Oh yea, its on.

Me, my bible and some SOLITUDE. That will be 24 hours of my life this weekend... and I'm excited.

“In solitude I get rid of my scaffolding: no friends to talk with, no telephones calls to make, no meetings to attend, no music to entertain, no books to distract, just me - naked, vulnerable, weak, sinful, deprived, broken-nothing. It is this nothingness that I have to face in my solitude, a nothingness so dreadful that everything in me want to run to my friends, my work, and my distractions so that I can forget my nothingness and make myself believe that I am worth something.”--Henri Nouwen, The Way of the Heart

(quote part of a great post over on Anne Jackson's site)



 Don't miss a thing. Subscribe to my feed.

Labels: ,

5 Responses to “Solitude.”

  1. # Blogger Mike

    Keep up the great work. I love your blog. Check it out everyday.  

  2. # Blogger dearabby

    TLC,
    I hope this break is awesome, refreshing and soul affirming. It's amazing how much power is in silence (or in our world, just quit-ER).
    Have a great time!  

  3. # Blogger Terrace Crawford

    @ ChurchforMen - Great to hear! Love what you guys are doing and read your stuff too.
    --
    @ Abby - Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully this will be the first, of many, for me.  

  4. # Anonymous Anonymous

    have a great time, bro! sounds like a super-healthy thing to do!  

  5. # Blogger Terrace Crawford

    @ Adam - You are correct... it is quite the healthy thing and (was) quite the healthy thing for me.  

Post a Comment


 Subscribe to RSS
Add to Technorati Favorites


Categories




My Next Stops...








       Subscribe to my RSS Feed


      Powered by Blogger



      © 2009 [TerraceCrawford.com] | TerraceCrawford.com