Spiritual Health and Physical Health



If you are like me it doesn't hurt to hear an inspiring story if you are trying to lose weight. Ironically, around the blogosphere I found a youth pastor named Matthew McNutt who may inspire you to drop some poundage.

Many of you may know Matt already, as he was on the hit TV-series "The Biggest Loser", Season Three. Matthew, even though he wasn't able to receive personal training on the show, dropped 150 pounds as one of 36 contestants who competed at home.

In a recently published article for Simply Youth Ministry, Matt tells of the correlation he sees between his spiritual health and his physical health...
Two years ago I became too heavy for the doctor's scale to even register my weight - apparently the scale designers don't think people over 350 pounds want to know. They were right about me! Except this one time when the nurse wrote 350+++. Seriously? Three plusses? I'm standing there thinking, c'mon lady, one would have done the job - now you're just being mean!

Something happened, though, that changed my life. I got convicted. Before then I just didn't see any connection between my spiritual health and my physical health. The one is eternal, the other temporal, right? So what's the big deal if someday I'm getting a resurrection body? Sounds like a free ticket to gorge now and get some divine intervention later! But then I stumbled across 1 Corinthians 10:31. "Therefore, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God!" Between that passage, and the scriptures referring to our bodies as the temple, I started to get excited. Think of the beauty and responsibility of the maintenance of something so sacred and special as the dwelling place of God! Can you imagine? How we feed ourselves can be for the glory of God! Being healthy isn't about image, it's about worship. It's about pursuing the entirety of life that God wired us to enjoy.
(To read the rest of this article,click here.)

Here is piece a television station did on Matthew after his weight loss:



Click here to visit Matthew McNutt's blog online.

Labels: , , , ,

3 Responses to “Spiritual Health and Physical Health”

  1. # Blogger Dave Miers

    i've been thinking a bit about this recently.

    i've lost 11kg over the past few months.

    gone from 114 kg to 103kg... and counting!

    i think in pounds that's:
    228 down to 206

    but i do wonder if lack of discipline with food is part of a bigger picture of ill-discipline with other areas of life.

    just thinking...  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Thanks for the shoutout! : ) To follow up on Dave's comment, I do konw that as I gained discipline in this area of my life, other areas of self discipline benefitted as well. Something about gaining confidence in this area enabled me to realize how much more I was capable in other areas. : )  

  3. # Blogger Terrace Crawford

    @ Dave, Matthew -- I have a good friend, Len, who wrote a book called Spirit-Led eating. The primary emphasis of the book is about discipline|obedience. He'd agree with your statement Matt. If you exercise control with eating, other areas will be affected too.

    Lord help me,
    /TC/  

Post a Comment


 Subscribe to RSS
Add to Technorati Favorites


Categories




My Next Stops...








       Subscribe to my RSS Feed


      Powered by Blogger



      © 2009 [TerraceCrawford.com] | TerraceCrawford.com