That don't impress me much...

I am not impressed much with pastors whose church is on the list of the fastest growing churches in America. I am not impressed with leaders of the most popular podcasts in the world. I am not impressed with the most eloquent writers of our time ...

... unless they are the 'real deal' off-stage, off-mic and in person.

I have gotten very frustrated over the years with leaders who have been a real letdown in my eyes. Perhaps I should chalk this up to a mere mistake for having a high expectation of a person but at times I don't think so...

I telephoned a pastor last year to discuss with him how our ministries may work together for a common purpose. This pastor serves in a mega-church and seems to be well-respected but the day I finally get him on the phone he cuts me short and says "if the Lord wills we will talk again later." Which, to be honest, was really code for "have a nice life." I'm sorry, but that don't impress me much.

Late last year I decided to email another pastor whose blog I frequently read (and still do I might add) to ask him for some personal advice. I literally pour my heart out to him in this email, receive an email back from his secretary who states that "he plans to respond soon" and never hear another word from him. Months later I drop yet another email to him, understanding that perhaps 'things came up that prevented him from responding' and again I seem to be ignored. I'm sorry, but that don't impress me much.

I realize that I've let people down at times. I've had to I'm sure because I'm human. I give people the benefit of the doubt and understand that my expectations can sometimes be too high but c'mon.

So, as one leader asked me one time (whose opinion I highly value)... what will I do with my disappointment? Well, I pray for these leaders. Even though I've lost some respect for them I still believe in them. I root for them. I learn from their mistakes as well as from my own. I believe as leaders we are called to a higher standard. Sure... we'll make mistakes and we'll let people down but we should admit to it when we do.

Labels: , ,

2 Responses to “That don't impress me much...”

  1. # Blogger Jason Curlee

    I'm down with that one...many of them cough it up to they are busy leading their congregation...these are the types of people that aren't leaving a legacy...they may be where they are but not in the world at large.

    That's why I love guys like lifechurch.tv that are giving out so much of their stuff. (Hope they weren't one of the ones you were talking about) Guys like that are leaving a legacy larger than just building "their" kingdom.  

  2. # Blogger Terrace Crawford

    Jason,

    I LOVE what the guys @ LifeChurch.tv are doing. It's incredible.

    /TC/  

Post a Comment


 Subscribe to RSS
Add to Technorati Favorites


Categories




My Next Stops...








       Subscribe to my RSS Feed


      Powered by Blogger



      © 2009 [TerraceCrawford.com] | TerraceCrawford.com