#OC12 Notes: Doug Fields


Doug Fields
  • Doug is doing a talk on what he's learned (and been healed from) since he left a paid church staff position.
  • I've journaled my learnings over the last few years. I want to share 3 things that I've been healed from.
  • One thing I realized is how much I (we) put the spotlight on numbers in the church.
  • We had a little slogan in our church that "we count people because people count."
  • A leader is to attendance what a crack addict is to a crack pipe.
  • I realize now that from week-to-week all I was doing was feeding the beast (of my ego).
  • I've read a great book recently called "Renovation of the Church" where it talks about "feeding the beast."
  • Another thing I'm being healed from is the pace of life
  • For me, ministry wasn't pacing like you do in a marathon. It was more like a sprint.
  • I use to drive past a McDonalds and fantasize about what it would be like to work there.
  • I also put a spotlight on comparison in ministry.  We do this constantly!
  • John 11 - Remember when Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead?  He said "unwrap him and let him live!"
  • Since my vision has been healed, I've learned a few things.
  • Bigger isn't better. The only two people that think bigger is better are event promoters and preachers.
  • Better is better!
  • Hurry is the enemy of depth!
  • You can't rush relationships.
  • My healed vision has helped me replace "comparison" with "effectiveness."
  • I must realize that I wasn't created to be Rick Warren. I wasn't created to speak like Beth Moore. I wasn't created to write like Andy Stanley. I was created to be "me."
  • We need to stop complaining and start abiding (in Jesus).
  • We are blinded in ministry (by things like numbers, pace of life, comparison).
  • What would it look like to go on a numbers-detox?
  • Busyness is a sign of brokenness.
  • Every leader, every church, everything looks better from a distance.
  • If nothing changes in your leadership are you happy with the leader that you are? 
This post contains my notes from the general session at the Orange Conference.

2 Responses to “#OC12 Notes: Doug Fields”

  1. # Anonymous RJ Grunewald

    This looks like it was a great session! Thanks for sharing your notes.  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Looks like a powerful session, and I appreciate you sharing. So often in student ministry, we are looking at attendance, and not the spiritual depth of the students that we do have. I pray that I personally improve on not looking at numbers, but rather at the heart of the students that we do have.  

Post a Comment


 Subscribe to RSS
Add to Technorati Favorites


Categories




My Next Stops...








       Subscribe to my RSS Feed


      Powered by Blogger



      © 2009 [TerraceCrawford.com] | TerraceCrawford.com