Willow Creek Confession.

At Willow Creek's most recent Leadership Summit Bill Hybels stood to address the crowd but was everyone ready for his public confession?


Some of the stuff that we have put millions of dollars into thinking it would really help our people grow and develop spiritually, when the data actually came back it wasn’t helping people that much. Other things that we didn’t put that much money into and didn’t put much staff against is stuff our people are crying out for.
We made a mistake. What we should have done when people crossed the line of faith and become Christians, we should have started telling people and teaching people that they have to take responsibility to become ‘self feeders.’ We should have gotten people, taught people, how to read their bible between service, how to do the spiritual practices much more aggressively on their own.


Wow! What a confession. Here stands the leader of one of the most influential churches of our time publicly confessing that his church has made a mistake over 30 years of ministry. By their own admission, this seeker-friendly church has neglected to help their members go deeper in their faith.

Bill, thanks for your confession. That took guts.

It leads me to think further about a question that a group of youth pastors were asked this summer at a conference I attended in Panama City, Florida. Are we building students or student ministries?

Hybels referred to this as 'the wake up call of his life...' and I pray it sparks more conversation and offers more wake up calls to pastors, youth pastors and other ministry leaders around the globe.

I certainly don't have it right all the time. I make mistakes and rethink my ministry nearly daily. Is what I'm doing right? Am I being effective? Are we truly making disciples of Christ?

I read a question on a piece of curriculum a year ago and it has haunted me ever since. The responsibility that this question brings makes be cringe. Here it is . . .

If I go to your youth group for 6 years of my life, one hour a week... thats 312 hours! At the end of that time... what kind of foundation will I have? What will I know about God's Word? WILL I LEAVE CHANGED?

May God help us all as we lead.

Click here to view a video of Bill Hybel's "Wake Up Call" from the Summit.

Labels: , , ,



 Subscribe to RSS
Add to Technorati Favorites


Categories




My Next Stops...








       Subscribe to my RSS Feed


      Powered by Blogger



      © 2009 [TerraceCrawford.com] | TerraceCrawford.com