Kathy Griffin Hate Speech



This evening I received a mass email which contained the following message:
"I really don't watch these awards, but I did goggle the name of Kathy Griffin and this is a true statement that she made..We need to lift her up in prayer.

Please read and pass on to everyone you know!

At the Emmy awards, Kathy Griffin's acceptance speech said, "A lot of people come up here and thank Jesus for this award. I want you to know that no one had less to do with this award than Jesus." She went on to say, "Suck it, Jesus. This is my God now!" referring to the Emmy. As a Christian, I am offended by her hate speech. What do you think might have happened if she had made the hate speech against Muhammad???? Kathy Griffin has the right as an American to say what she thinks. As a Christian-American, so do I. Today I will refuse to watch any show that she may be on or purchase tickets to any event at which she would perform. What will you do? If you delete this, nothing bad will happen to you, but if you pass this on, you will truly have stood up for Jesus Christ. Let's see what the 80% of Christian-Americans can do."

After getting one to many of these emails and being asked to sign a petition over this, here was my response to that email:
" I think its sad that Kathy Griffin said these things too... and was offended also. However, the person composing this email said "if you pass this on you have truly stood up for Jesus Christ." Really?

I'm not defending what Kathy Griffin did... but I do have a question.
Why do we expect people who are NOT believers to act like believers?

I personally don't think Jesus would be sending forwards, circulating petitions, etc. to bring Kathy Griffin down. I agree, we should pray for her... but we also need to watch the way we "react" to these things. The world is watching.

If you don't agree, thats fine. This certainly makes for good discussion among all of those involved. Just thought I'd share my heart.

What do you think?


 Subscribe to Life on Life in a reader.


Labels: , , , , ,

5 Responses to “Kathy Griffin Hate Speech”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Valid points Patio. I remember when this happened last year. It supremely disappointed me. It didn't surprise me in the least. Kathy Griffin has made it her life's work to offend anyone and everyone in order to achieve a laugh. What do I do? I don't support her with my dollars or time.

    In regards to these e-mails that claim I'm not Christian enough if I don't forward them, or I will experience bad luck, or I'm unpatriotic...these I delete.

    There's too much in life to deal with. I don't need any undeserved guilt heaped upon me for deciding to respect others by NOT indiscriminately forwarding an e-mail/petition. The Bible has assured me that because of Christ, I am free from guilt! Why would I accept it from an electronic form of mass communication?  

  2. # Blogger Terrace Crawford

    Thanks for the comment Radiogal. Glad you are reading and chiming in!

    /TC/  

  3. # Blogger Unknown

    i think kg's statement is toward the jesus that is perceived in these mass emails.

    steve carter

    www.stevecarter.typepad.com  

  4. # Blogger Capri

    What galls me as much as the anti-Christian twits like Kathy Griffin are the easily manipulated religious people who hang on every word in chain letters, forward them far and wide, and make fools of themselves when they're supposed to be doing the opposite. No chain letter will make Griffin become a Christian, and the best way to squelch her offensive efforts is to turn off the blasted tube when she comes on! It's so good to see other Christians, though still very very few, against chain letters. The vast majority that I've seen on the net swallow anything hook line and sinker if it claims to be a message from God and that one can show what a good Christian they are by spamming their friends all to heck. Argh! Then there are the hoaxters who make up religiously themed hoaxes in order to get them circulating like a bad smell everywhere, so they can laugh their heads off at all the religious people who keep falling for it. But even if this one is true, it's still a chain letter, and Christians shouldn't engage in passing it along any more than they should go into a bar and get plastered while attempting to get people interested in Christ.  

  5. # Blogger Sara Horn

    You are exactly on point with this. I heard someone ask the same question you did earlier this year I think, maybe in my Sunday school class, and it's totally accurate.

    Why do we apply Christian principles to folks who don't know Christ? Why don't we just pray for them, and not in a "you poor thing, I'll pray for your soul even though I know where it's headed" kind of attitude, but a "Jesus loved you so much He died for you and me both" kind of way.

    And as a P.S. - I hate those forwards and cringe everytime someone else sends one to me. They never bother to check the facts out before they hit send. If we're going to represent Christ, we need to know the facts. If we're sharing the Truth, then we need to only pass on the truth. Even in emails.  

Post a Comment


 Subscribe to RSS
Add to Technorati Favorites


Categories




My Next Stops...








       Subscribe to my RSS Feed


      Powered by Blogger



      © 2009 [TerraceCrawford.com] | TerraceCrawford.com