Simon Cowell Uncut



Over the weekend I watched a 60 Minutes special I had TiVo'd that was titled "Simon Cowell Uncut." I found it rather interesting to watch and you might be surprised at some of the things I heard...

Cowell, best known in America for his role on the TV-show American Idol, is a Sony BMG music executive by day. He created the hit male-opera group il Divo, who in three years have sold over 3 million records worldwide. Cowell told Anderson Cooper, the correspondent for this interview, that he has homes in London and Beverly Hills and that he currently has at least 4 TV-shows in development in America. He is also responsible for creating the hit television show "The X Factor" in England and in 2001 created "Pop Idol" in the UK, prior to the debut of American Idol.

When questioned why he created American Idol he said...
"Idol was created as a vehicle to launch records."
Cowell and Sony BMG control the recording rights to every Idol artist worldwide. That means, everytime an Idol artist sells a song he [Cowell] makes more money. He said
"what happens is that we sign all the artists and have nearly 100 artists now worldwide."
In fact, Cowell confirmed that he makes more money than any other artist on the Sony label grossing more than a reported 100 million each year.

The Idol judge stated
"people come up to me all the time asking me to critique them. It's rather interesting. I was once asked by a couple to critique their performance in bed and they offered me a hundred grand to do so. I didn't accept that offer."
What you may find most interesting about Simon Cowell is that he cannot read music, cannot play an instrument and does not sing. He says
"I make decisions on artists purely on instinct."
With a pretty good ear for talent and a good guessing game, I'd say he's made a lucrative career for himself.

Before closing out the interview Simon cleared the air with his relationship to Ryan Seacrest. He said "he is one of my best friends here [in America]."

Labels: ,

0 Responses to “Simon Cowell Uncut”

Post a Comment


 Subscribe to RSS
Add to Technorati Favorites


Categories




My Next Stops...








       Subscribe to my RSS Feed


      Powered by Blogger



      © 2009 [TerraceCrawford.com] | TerraceCrawford.com