Deaf Ear to Wisdom

I read an article months ago written by Ergun Caner. Since reading that article, not only did it humble me but I've felt compelled to bring some attention to the article because I feel it presents a solid word to young leaders. So, here it is...
"Recently, I sat in the packed auditorium of Thomas Road Baptist Church, and I actually shivered.

It was not cold. It was not pain. It was dread.

Joined with tens of thousands of Christians, my wife and I paid our final respects to our pastor, Dr. Jerry Falwell. Dignitaries walked across the stage. Greetings were given from the White House. Condolences were offered. Along with songs by the choir, Drs. Franklin Graham and Jerry Vines preached powerful messages.

The shiver that went up my spine, however, had nothing to do with the proceedings, or the grief we all feel.

In each corner of the sanctuary, men of renown walked slowly, even carefully. They were more than compatriots of the chancellor of our Liberty University; they are members of a singular generation. We are slowly watching the end of an era. Our heroes are either dying or retiring.

Think about it. The generation of men and women who are now entering their twilight years were more than just visionaries; they were trailblazers. They were part of the first generation that called the first full-time youth ministers. They built the first generation of church gymnasiums. They were the first generation to speak on a national stage in television ministries. They ushered in the era of the "megachurch."

The names are familiar to all Christians: Adrian Rogers, W.A. Criswell, Herschel H. Hobbs, Jerry Falwell. Men such as these do not come along often. Men with the courage to act on a vision much larger than themselves. Men who dared to believe that God could do something larger than the status quo. Every year at the Southern Baptist Convention, I watch the men of this generation. They are walking much more slowly now. They have retired from their pulpits, or they have assumed less active roles in ministry.

I shuddered because my generation is not ready."
[Read the rest here]

Craig Groeschel also spoke of listening to wisdom today here.

 You like this post? Subscribe here for more goodness.

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Responses to “Deaf Ear to Wisdom”

  1. # Blogger Tim Liu

    My first reaction to this article was somewhat negative, but on rereading it, it sank in a little more. Yes, we should respect those who came before us without writing them off as irrelevant.

    But is this generation not ready? I don't think so. In fact, I was just thinking this morning how exciting it is to be a Christian leader in this generation. Seeing leaders like Andy Stanley, Erwin McManus, and Francis Chan lead the way into a new period in the life of the church is quite a privilege. They are our generation's trailblazers with their own courage to act on a vision larger than themselves, and maybe even fighting bigger battles than church gymnasiums and television ministries.  

  2. # Blogger Terrace Crawford

    I had the same reaction Tim, but there is value to what Caner is saying. I can personally relate because there are times when a much older person in ministry starts talking and I sometimes have to fight the inclination to turn the ears off. There is GREAT wisdom in listening to leaders who have blazed the trails.

    While many of us have not personally worked alongside of the great leaders Caner mentioned, we have plenty that we can still sit under and soak it up!  

Post a Comment


 Subscribe to RSS
Add to Technorati Favorites


Categories




My Next Stops...








       Subscribe to my RSS Feed


      Powered by Blogger



      © 2009 [TerraceCrawford.com] | TerraceCrawford.com