Go Premium?

I read this on a local radio announcer's blog a few days ago. Not quite sure about this but I wondered what your opinion might be:
"A week or so ago, I was talking with a friend of mine, Dave, who lives in Georgetown, TX. We were both talking about what everyone seems to be foaming about…GAS PRICES.

To my point, Dave drives an Excursion…the BIG MAMMA of the Ford line that is a traditional gas guzzler and he was claiming that his 8 Cylinder was giving him 18 around town and 23 on the highway.

“What’s the secret” I asked?
“PREMIUM Gasoline” he answered.

According to Dave, regular unleaded is LESS cost effective to drive and if people would use high test gas, the automatic fuel injection of the car would advance the timing…hence giving better mileage.

Now this is scary as the price of premium is $3.58 a gallon…NOT EASY TO LOOK AT.

Nevertheless, I decided to try Dave’s advice as I was getting 13 around town and 17 on the highway according to the HUD display in my SUV.

The results:

When I fill up (22 gallons), my car promises 306 miles to empty with REGULAR. When filling up with premium, after 2 tankfuls….are you ready? 426 glorious miles! DAVE was right! Now it doesn’t take a calculator to figure out that I am doing in the neighborhood of 19 around town and better than 23 on the highway."

Is Premium really the answer?

 You like this post? Subscribe here for more goodness.

Labels: , , ,

7 Responses to “Go Premium?”

  1. # Blogger Miss Mandy

    WOW - w/ a 44 gallon tank to fill (gulp) it would cost a lot, but might be worth the try especially on a road trip.

    I drive an Excursion as well.  

  2. # Blogger Miss Mandy

    Tag, you're it.  

  3. # Blogger jasdye

    ok, so this is what i understand.

    premium gas isn't a quality change. it has to do with the chemicals and/or air and technical stuff that i forgot about. ok, so i'm not really a car guy. but the guys at 'click and clack' are.

    and they said that you should get premium if that's what your car takes. this is especially true of newer cars (like these SUV's, most likely), but if your car doesn't need premium gas, don't get it. it won't help anything but BP get richer.

    if, however, they were supposed to get the premium gas b/c of the engines of their monstrosities (and, honestly, if you drive an suv, stop yer b***ching!), then it only makes sense that it would work best with the gas it was designed for.

    that's my take on it.  

  4. # Blogger Terrace Crawford

    @ MCC - go ahead with yo Excursion Mandy.
    --
    @ MCC - nah... ur it.
    --
    @ Jase - Yea, I've always understood that the higher test gas may not be good for your vehicle if it doesn't take that. What do I know though!

    /TC/  

  5. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I read this yesterday and ironically, I needed gas in my Explorer. So, I went and got premium gas, paid $3.50 a gallon for it...gulp...and when I turned my car on, 365 miles until empty! This was WAY better than the 320 miles I got with regular gas.  

  6. # Blogger Terrace Crawford

    @ Beth - Wow, thats really cool Beth. Thanks for sharing.  

  7. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I'm trying that this week. I'm going to do some testing of this idea...I'll let you know how it works.  

Post a Comment


 Subscribe to RSS
Add to Technorati Favorites


Categories




My Next Stops...








       Subscribe to my RSS Feed


      Powered by Blogger



      © 2009 [TerraceCrawford.com] | TerraceCrawford.com