(LOL) with Zak White

Life on Life is a new feature where I interview leaders from around the country who are doing this thing called LIFE. In this interview my friend, Zak White, Pastor of Spiritual Development at Connection Church, shares his life with us.

Me: What book(s) have most shaped you?
Zak: The Bible, Purpose Driven Life and Purpose Driven Church by Rick Warren, Next Generation Leader by Andy Stanley, Financial Peace by Dave Ramsey and anything by John Maxwell.

Me: You are a blogger. What have you learned through blogging? What do you enjoy about it?
Zak: With the web 2.0 revolution, anyone can be someone with an audience. You don’t have to be well known or polished. I’ve also learned that when you are a leader people appreciate you being real. Blogging is a great avenue to communicate that you are a regular person with struggles, successes, hobbies, and a crazy life, just like them.

I enjoy that fact that several leaders I really look up to blog almost daily and I get great content from them for free. In the past, I used to pay $1200 to travel to a conference to hear these guys speak for 45 minutes. Although I still attend conferences, I get the same content through blogs in real time for free.

Me: Most embarassing moment from the platform?
Zak: I did a sermon about stress at Christmas. One of my illustrations included breaking tons of Christmas balls by throwing them down on the platform. I didn’t plan it out real well and chose to wear sandals that day. I ended up with glass stuck in my toe and had to preach the rest of the sermon in pain. I thought I held myself pretty well and didn’t feel like anyone really noticed but after the sermon several people came up and asked me if I was ok.


Me: Where do you turn for inspiration (besides Christ Jesus of course)?
Zak: My MAIN source of inspiration comes from one fact: people really do die and go to hell everyday. I just can’t get that out of my head - it bugs me. That is my primary motivation and inspiration.

For creative inspiration, I turn to some odd places. I have a LONG list of sites and other resources, but here are a few of my favorites:

  • WebUrbanist.com
  • A friend's cake decorating company
  • Flickr
  • Carlos Whittaker
  • Starbucks (I somehow knew that was coming...)

    ...and conferences and churches I admire.

    For inspiration in leadership, I read & listen to other pastors and leaders. Right now Perry Noble and Steven Furtick are rocking my world.

    Me: You and your senior pastor not only planted a church but you started a church-planting network. How does that work? Whats the purpose?
    Zak: We started LaunchingChurches.com because we were getting an influx of other church planters from all over the world calling our offices wanting to know how we do what we do at The Connection Church. We saw it as an opportunity to help other church launchers by sharing our success and failure stories.

    The way it works is through networks. Typically, a network lasts 6 months and we meet once per month for about 4 hours. We intentionally keep the networks small (10 people) so that we can talk specifically about each church represented. You can get more details here.

    It was been really cool to see a community raise up where these pastors care for and pour into each other. We keep the costs to a minimum so that anyone can participate. The purpose is simply to help church starts become more effective in reaching people for Jesus.

    Me: Greatest lesson learned?
    Zak: Life is not about me.

    Me: What is the biggest lesson you've learned through your family?
    Zak: That I have not arrived. My wife is the most incredible person on this Earth. I wish I could be half as beautiful of a person as she is.

    Me: What do you dislike most about ministry?
    Zak: Whiny baby Christians who think life is all about them.

    Me: What do you like most about ministry?
    Zak: Seeing people take the most important step they can in life and knowing that I’ll get to chill with them in Heaven.

    Me: Hobbies?
    Zak: Magic tricks, wakeboarding, running, biking, and reading.

    Me: What is something that most people don't know about you?
    Zak: My wife calls me “hound dog” because I smell EVERYTHING.


     You like this post? Subscribe here for more goodness.

    For more on Zak White, click here. For more on Launching Churches, click here.

    Labels: ,

  • 0 Responses to “(LOL) with Zak White”

    Post a Comment


     Subscribe to RSS
    Add to Technorati Favorites


    Categories




    My Next Stops...








         Subscribe to my RSS Feed


        Powered by Blogger



        © 2009 [TerraceCrawford.com] | TerraceCrawford.com