What Will the Future of Youth Ministry Look Like?

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the future of youth ministry in the last few months -- and I'm not alone. My friend, Marko, has been doing a blog series on this very topic and today he featured some of my recent thoughts on what the future looks like. Here's what I said to him:

"I think we are beginning to see less paid staff in youth ministry than ever before… and this is just the beginning. I believe churches will recruit more volunteers in the days ahead. Additionally, I think we’ll see less silos in youth ministry and more integration of students into “big church.” As a result, students will begin assuming more leadership roles. Finally, I think churches & ministries are having to “strip down” to the basics because of the economy & budget cuts — and it just might be what the Lord has ordered. I believe what we often see in the physical realm is mirrored in the spiritual. God may be salvaging the remnants and stripping away what doesn’t need to remain in our ministries & we are better for it. Because of this, I am very hopeful about the future of youth ministry."

Click on over to Marko's blog and read his thoughts on what I shared. Also, you may be interested in reading a recent post I did on "5 Glimpses into the Future of Youth Ministry."

What are your thoughts about the future of YM?

Labels: ,

6 Responses to “What Will the Future of Youth Ministry Look Like?”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    I am a youth pastor. It's all I know...if my church went to un paid...I, and my family would be in trouble financially...but I suppose this is where trust in the Lord comes from!  

  2. # Blogger Nate Hogan

    Less paid staff may be a good thing overall. I am a full time youth pastor. But that doesn't mean that I am the sole soul care provider. American culture may have caused church folk to believe that ministry was the job of staff. If the staff goes - then people have to do the ministry - as God intended. Ephesians 4:11-12  

  3. # Blogger Nate Hogan

    Perhaps church folk once believed that paid staff were to do ALL of the ministry. When paid staff must go: the whole church must do ministry. This was the plan all along (Ephesians 4:11-12). Though I am paid staff, I expect that trust in God is the factor for the future.  

  4. # Anonymous Jeremy Smith

    I wonder what your thought is on this?

    I think Marko is right on and yet fear that some youth ministries will be completely abandoned because of these changes.

    At the same time, the Church needs to own the youth. They are not some "sub-church" but the future. Without recognizing this, Christianity in America will be watered down or vanish.  

  5. # Blogger Terrace Crawford

    @Jeremy - my thoughts on what specifically? what Marko said?

    //TC//  

  6. # Anonymous Web Designers Pitampura

    Nice post, things explained in details. Thank You.
     

Post a Comment


 Subscribe to RSS
Add to Technorati Favorites


Categories




My Next Stops...








       Subscribe to my RSS Feed


      Powered by Blogger



      © 2009 [TerraceCrawford.com] | TerraceCrawford.com