Boycotting Heroes.

A friend of mine,Tim Liu, forwarded me an article about Angie Ward's piece on a "Hero Boycott."

Ward explains the reason for her boycott when she says...
Sadly, I've seen that "Jensenites" are becoming the rule rather than the exception. I've heard dozens of pastors speak breathlessly and reverently about their ministerial and spiritual heroes, reading their books and their blogs, listening to their podcasts, following them at conferences, hoping just to get a glimpse of them or to touch their robe so they can receive some magical leadership or teaching power that will result in overwhelming ministry success and their own fame...

...It's no different today than it was in the first century, when Paul noted in his first letter to the Corinthians that the Christ-followers there were dividing themselves over who they followed. 'I follow Paul,' said some, while others countered, 'I follow Apollos.'

Today it's the same story, just a different millennium: 'I am of Hybels.' "I am of Warren.' 'I am of Maxwell.' 'I am of Stanley.' 'I am of Moore.' 'I am of Groeschel.' "I am of McLaren.' 'I am of Driscoll...'

Interesting article I thought.

I, of course, would consider myself a "fan" of the men she mentioned. I also like "Rob Bell" among others she didn't mention. In fact, another "fan" of his told me that I could be part of "the ROBBELLion." I thought that was pretty amusing.

I would say I have many heroes in the faith... but I'm not obssessed.

I use to be pretty close to what you'd call "obssessed" with Steven Curtis Chapman. Yes, he's still rockin for Jesus. I had all his albums. Dreamed occasionally of hanging out with he and his family. Had a life-size cardboard cut out of him in my room. Yea, I know, pretty sad right? There have been others I esteemed here and there... but I won't mention.

I learned a valueable lesson a long time ago though. Never be obssessed with anyone but our Lord Jesus Christ. He is the ONLY one that will not let you down.

I think Angie provides a great word to all throughout her article...
These groupies try to become clones of their heroes, instead of becoming who God has made them and ministering in a uniquely personal way that no celebrity could ever attain. Instead of claiming their standing in Christ and asking what He wants of their leadership in their unique situation, they settle for a trinkety-bracelet approach to ministry: "What Would Hybels Do?"

Thanks for the reminder, Angie. It's okay to have heroes and mentors ... but never let them get in the way of our focus on Christ and who Christ wants us to be.


Click here to view the entire article by Angie Ward in Leadership Journal.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Responses to “Boycotting Heroes.”

Post a Comment


 Subscribe to RSS
Add to Technorati Favorites


Categories




My Next Stops...








       Subscribe to my RSS Feed


      Powered by Blogger



      © 2009 [TerraceCrawford.com] | TerraceCrawford.com