7 Year Itch

If I only had $6,000 crisp dollars and were of a little more influence I might find myself at TED. I love listening to the 18-minute messages from world-class speakers and teachers available on the conference website. I recently viewed this vid by a New York designer, Stefan Sagmeister, about the power of taking time off.


OK, so maybe Stefan is the taking time off to the extreme. However, if given the opportunity we might do the same. I mean, he definitely makes a great case for ceasing from work.
I've never had a sabbatical.
I'm a firm believer that ministry will suck you dry too. If anyone needs a sabbatical its ministers. Perhaps one day we can all take one. In the meantime, I value the power of a day off. I see the importance of retreats. And I plan to schedule more of these for myself this year.

Just curious, have you ever taken a sabbatical? Personal retreat? Was it effective for you?

RSS Subscribers: there is video [here]

Labels: , , , ,

4 Responses to “7 Year Itch”

  1. # Blogger Unknown

    What's a sabbatical? LOL, j/k. But in all seriousness, I think that's the reaction you'd get from most church boards.

    For the record, no, I've never had one, but I haven't been in ministry that long. Wherever I go next, I hope God will give me the courage to ask for one at the end of every 7th year.  

  2. # Blogger Art Good

    Never had one. Probably never will if I stay long-term in my present church. A sabbatical would be crazy talk in a place that only allows us one Sunday off a year!  

  3. # Blogger Terrace Crawford

    @Art - ouch.

    //TC//  

  4. # Anonymous Christopher Laney

    I'm not a minister, but did take a "sabbatical" to write my novel for seven months. In my opinion there is no better way to discover who you are as a person, than to remove yourself from the chaos of the world for a lengthy period. For me, my spiritual bond strengthened exponentially. I want to ensure it remains strong as I re-immerse myself into the distractions of the world.  

Post a Comment


 Subscribe to RSS
Add to Technorati Favorites


Categories




My Next Stops...








       Subscribe to my RSS Feed


      Powered by Blogger



      © 2009 [TerraceCrawford.com] | TerraceCrawford.com