Where the Volunteers Perish

There are basically two types of volunteers. Those who get the vision and those who don't. I don't know why it has taken me so long to learn this... but its rather simple really. You can actually tell who gets the vision and who doesn't on your team. Here are some striking traits of each:


Granted, there are not always check marks by each of these. I also realize every case varies. You might even totally disagree with this list... but its definitely a fairly accurate picture of traits I've personally noticed in ministry.

It is also important to mention that volunteers aren't always at fault.  Sometimes its a lack of direction or an unclear vision that rests solely on the primary leader.

We've been blessed by some incredible volunteers at Cornerstone who get the vision... but there have been some along the way who didn't get it. Pretty soon you find out because they aren't a part of the program anymore. They perish.   

The scriptures say a little something, something about that... "where there is no vision the people perish." Rings true here. Volunteers need to "get it."

Labels: , , , ,

5 Responses to “Where the Volunteers Perish”

  1. # Blogger Rob

    Where did this come from? Did you create this?  

  2. # Blogger Terrace Crawford

    @Rob - Yea, I created it. 100% my content.  

  3. # Blogger Miss Mandy

    I agree for the most part.

    I volunteer quite often. I'm never late or complain (at least to anyone other than my hubs), but I don't always agree w/ the vision of our church.

    I think there are some of us that cross over.  

  4. # Blogger Steve Bradley

    Great thoughts here... reminds me of Mancini's attunement grid (from Church Unique), which shows the 4 types of people who are on your vision voyage:

    1)Crew (gets vision and contributes)
    2)Passenger (gets vision but doesn't contribute)
    3)Pirate (doesn't get vision but contributes)
    4)Stowaway (doesn't get vision and doesn't contribute)  

  5. # Anonymous Jeremy Smith

    I love this, adding it to my volunteer training this weekend. Thanks for the article!  

Post a Comment


 Subscribe to RSS
Add to Technorati Favorites


Categories




My Next Stops...








       Subscribe to my RSS Feed


      Powered by Blogger



      © 2009 [TerraceCrawford.com] | TerraceCrawford.com