(LoL) with Josh Griffin

Life on Life is a feature where I interview leaders from around the country who are doing this thing called LIFE. In this interview my friend, Josh Griffin, High School Pastor at Saddleback Church in Lake Forest, CA, shares his life with us.

Me: What book(s) have most shaped you?
Josh: The Heart of a Great Pastor by HB London and Neil Wiseman, God Came Near by Max Lucado, and The Grace Awakening by Charles Swindoll.

Me: You are a blogger. What have you learned through blogging? What do you enjoy about it?
Josh: I love sharing thoughts and learning in real-time with a community of other youth workers. I love the outlet for what I’m learning. It is always a great reminder than I’m not alone and God is using youth ministry in His church and lives are being changed.

Me: What have been your top 3 best resource finds that every youth minister should have at their disposal or should tap into?

Josh: Simply Text – revolutionized our communication system this year. Cheap. Vixy.net – download Youtube videos to play at youth group. Free. Wing Clips – clips from new movies to use in your talk. Free.


Me: Where do you turn for inspiration (besides Christ Jesus of course)?
Josh: Because I have a business background, I love reading business books and leadership stuff. I also really enjoy watching movies, award shows and pop culture in general to try learning from them as well. Inspiration is everywhere, and I love learning from the leaders inside and outside of my field.

Me: Considering you are a youth pastor, what notable advice would you give the rookies?
Josh: Sticking in youth ministry is one of the most rewarding experiences someone could have. Your relationship with your supervisor\senior pastor cannot be more important. You will never arrive, keep learning.


Me: What do you dislike most about ministry?
Josh: I love it - I struggle with balance because I love it so much. But, I do dislike the stereotypes of youth ministry (me too!) and youth pastors. I reinforce some, I know, but I hope to shatter the ones that are the most important.

Me: What do you like most about working on staff at Saddleback (besides working with Doug & Rick, of course)?
Josh: Serving at Pastor Rick's church and working with Doug are HUGE. Doug is a great friend and an amazing youth worker. I love the unified vision we have operating under the Purpose Driven Youth Ministry model. While we have incredible flexibility and room to innovate within the framework, but it still provides us with a template to work within.

Me: In your opinion, what should we be doing differently in youth ministry today or are we right on track where we should be?
Josh: I think texting, web and social media are some of the most important mediums we can do youth ministry in right now. While nothing compares to face-to-face interaction and life-on-life discussions, students are online and on their phones so much we need to go there too. I'm also concerned about the jump from high school ministry into "big church." That is always a challenge for youth ministry, and it is one we have to continually focus on.

Me: What is something that most people don't know about you?
Josh: I was in a movie with Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. I was an extra in Far and Away. Pretty exciting life, eh?

For more on Josh Griffin, click here to visit his blog.

Labels: , ,

3 Responses to “(LoL) with Josh Griffin”

  1. # Anonymous Anonymous

    Didn't say anything about his Dad? Sad to overlook that great influence in his life.

    Josh is in a class by himself!  

  2. # Anonymous Anonymous

    great insight into the life of Josh Griffin. Thanks for the post, both encouraging and insightful.  

  3. # Blogger Terrace Crawford

    @All - Thanks for your comments. I just wanted to say that its been cool getting to know Josh, albeit virtually. He is a great guy and I'm glad we're becoming friends.

    /TC/  

Post a Comment


 Subscribe to RSS
Add to Technorati Favorites


Categories




My Next Stops...








       Subscribe to my RSS Feed


      Powered by Blogger



      © 2009 [TerraceCrawford.com] | TerraceCrawford.com